Thursday, March 06, 2008

Walk Two Moons


Retell: In this story, a girl named Sal wants to find her mother, who has mysteriously disappeared Idaho. She tells her grandparents on the way what had happened to her and Phoebe, her friend, and says her story falls behind Phoebe’s. In her tale, Phoebe’s mother disappears, leaving behind only notes. Phoebe and Sal meet a “lunatic” and suspects that he murdered Phoebe’s mom. Sal, meanwhile, also tells her story about her mother gone too, so both girls set out to find their parents. This story is a book that has mystery, loss, love and sorrow. It gives me a feeling that I want to be Sal and experience all she’s been through, from her mother disappearing to her grandma dying.

Relate: I can relate that when Salamanca was telling her story, it’s like when I often tell my friends times that make me sad or happy, such as going to Florida or receiving a cool magnetic pencil case. The alternating expressions I use are related to Sal’s, and the constant questions and comments my friends make are like her grandparents. I felt sad when her grandma died, just like when I felt sad when Ihad to leave Kingslake P.S. I tell many tales, though none are long as Sal’s!

Reflect: Why did Sal’s mom leave? Why didn’t she take Sal? Why did she not leave a note? These questions make me wonder even more, so that I want to read all the books Sharon’s ever written. I wonder if Sal and Ben will always be friends, or if everyone will be happy. Will Salamanca’s (Sal’s) mom come back? And if she does, I hope every one in this book (or the next) will be kind and joyful to the end.

No comments: